THIS MONTH’S RECIPE from SALA Rattanakosin’s menu is Yam Puu Tod Mamuang – a soft shell crab served in a light tempura batter over a fresh green mango salad.
First, the ingredients:
Soft shell crab; tempura batter; and quality oil for frying.
For the salad: Slightly sour green mango cut into thin strips; shallots or red onion thinly sliced; roasted cashew nuts; Asian celery or regular celery leaves; and spring onions.
For the dressing: Fish sauce; lemon juice; coriander stalks; this bird eye chili palm sugar – with a sprig of coriander; finely sliced red chili; and lemongrass, cut lengthways to decorate.
Second, how to make it:
- Prepare the dressing by blending all the ingredients together in a food blender to a smooth consistency. This can be made in advance and be kept chilled for up to four days.
- Heat the oil to 180°C, coat the soft shell crab in tempura batter and fry until golden and crispy. This normally should take about 3-4 minutes
- Prepare the salad by mixing all of the ingredients together and add as much dressing as you desire. If you like more spicy, add more dressing.
- Assemble the salad onto a chilled plate or bowl and put the fried soft shell crab on top.
- Decorate with lemongrass, coriander and finely sliced chili.
In other SALA food news, SALA Phuket is offering a special set three-course menu that includes dessert with wine paring at a discounted price of 2,200 BHT per set. For further information, call 66-7633-8888.
At SALA Khaoyai, you can treat yourself to a private rooftop barbecue, with a selection of Thai appetizers, green and regional salads, pork, chicken and vegetable skewers, fresh fruit and a variety of desserts. For futher information, call 66-8-9846-0500.
During the month of September, SALA Lanna in Chiang Mai is serving special tea quenchers at its riverside Italia restaurant. Dishes include SALA Cobb salad and fettucini seafood.